Saturday, August 16, 2008

That was AWESOME!

55:14! It all went according to plan. First of all, I didn't really sleep well at all last night. I thought I would but I didn't. I don't think I fell into a restless sleep until around 130AM. Not great to have two nights of no sleep before a race but since the race doesn't start until 10AM I could still sleep until 8AM so it was all good.

Riding the subway to the race with my number pinned to my shirt felt kind of weird. At least a couple of other runners eventually got on. Oh yeah, also had to run the race with my car keys and change for the subway home jingling in my pocket...at least they heard me coming.

And I did run them down. Basically, I started slow and it seemed like everybody passed me. I was running with the 60 minute pace bunny and we were both like "alot of fast people running today..." (both of us knew we would catch them later...) People were passing me at 2km who already were sweating and breathing hard like that scene in "Titanic"...I was surprised at how long it took for people to start dropping off though. I only started passing them at about the 4-5km mark, and then only 2-3 at a time.

I kept telling myself to "go slow", so that I would have some juice left for the final kilometer. Spectators were standing by the road and spraying us with hoses and squirt guns, which helped alot.

The course is basically straight and has only one minor hill at about the 7.5 km mark and that is where they started dropping out. I could see the group in the distance on the little hill. People were literally stopping, not just slowing down.

I finally passed the final group in the last 1.5 km. It felt awesome blowing by coins and keys jingling and everything. That's right...fear the ringing beast.

The final sprint was fun too. My power songs "Resurrection" from "The Passion of the Christ" and "My Name is Lincoln" from "The Island" brought me home. And I out sprinted some guy who kicked past me at the 8 km mark.

I'll post my official time once its posted on the race website.

3 comments:

Mummy Maggie said...

Congratulations! Great time! My ultimate running tune is "All these things I've done" by The Killers. It's amazing!!! When's the next race?

Sub40 said...

Thanks scrapendipity! I'll check out your tune in iTunes. The next race is the Royal Victoria Marathon weekend 8K on October 12.
I am hoping for a home town advantage!

Mummy Maggie said...

That song helped me finish the Chicago Marathon. I played it over and over for the last 15 mins. I still get a feeling of accomplishment whenever i hear the song. AND it's now a Nike commercial - so it must be a good sports song ;)