Saturday, March 28, 2009

Run With Patience

Last weekend my endurance base training peaked at 10 miles a day for three days. It is hard to believe that a year ago my long runs were 2 kilometers. While 10 miles was not easy, I enjoyed the challenge.

In particular I was inspired by the following message from Paul found in Hebrews Chapter 12:

"Wherefore, seeing we also are encompassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

For consider him that endured such contradictions of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds...

Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless, afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."

When I run, I know that my ancestors watch. In particular my Aunt Julianna who died of Rheumatoid Arthritis last year. She was quite athletic until the disease struck her when she was young. She runs with me. My uncle Mike died of a drug overdose in his early twenties. He runs with me. They and others are my great cloud of witnesses.

One of the benefits of living in Victoria is that many Olympians live and train here. It is inspiring to know that triathlete Simon Whitfield, who won Gold in Sydney and Silver in Beijing, will be lining up just ahead of me at both the Times Colonist 10K and the Royal Victoria 8K. Part of the fun of racing here is that you catch glimpses of these amazing athletes running the same race or training on the same trail that you are. With a little more training, I think, I might be able to keep up with them for just one mile.

Life has set before me various races. Some miles are more grievious than others. Yet I run inspired by Christ. He authored the course, trained on the same trails and finished the race. And from time to time, usually when I'm running harder than I think I ought, I catch glimpses of Him running the same mile.

No comments: