Saturday, September 25, 2010

Marathon - 1 Day

The marathon is tomorrow. So I spent the day laying in bed and obsessing about it....just kidding. Actually I learned alot about travelling and racing from my 10K in Edmonton and Provo. You gotta relax the day before and enjoy the moment! Tomorrow is going to happen no matter what, so why ruin today?

With that in mind I slept in until 10AM then had breakfast at McDonalds. Then I helped my brother study for his anatomy exam on Tuesday as we drove to Muscatine, Iowa for a riverboat lunch cruise. The lunch cruise was great.

Later on I picked up my race packet at the iWireless centre. Joking around with race volunteers is fun ("I am going to win this thing...as long as nobody comes in faster than 5 hours"). I also met Dane Rauschenberg who is famous for running a marathon every weekend for a full 52 weeks. He was hanging out at the Iowa Beef Farmers booth. I signed up to be on the team beef if they ever do one and got into a 'discussion' about whether we are farmers or ranchers. Cattlemen prefer to be called "ranchers"..."farmers" sounds so hick. Anyway, once he got done talking to some other fans I got a picture with him. I noticed he was signing a poster of him finishing the Ogden, Utah marathon and there was a quote on it "there may come a day when you cannot run. Today is not that day." So I said to him "that comes from Lord of the Rings." He looked a little annoyed and quickly said "Yeah my brother thinks I stole it from Tolkien but I wasn't thinking about that at all when I wrote the quote." Then when I took my picture with him I was like "Yeah this guy is cool because he writes a blog that people actually read." He thought that was pretty funny.

Anyway, turns out there is no shuttle from the hotel to the marathon tomorrow so I got to get up extra early to get there on time.

So its off to bed for a restless sleep then get up and go for a little jog.....

1 comment:

Steve said...

Can't wait to hear how it all went down. I'm expecting a race recap soon!