Sunday, June 7, 2009

10 Mile Training Run

I can tell that the hills are making me stronger. My weekend ten milers include a downhill for the first 1.5 miles, two large hills in a row for mile 4, steep uphill a mountain for mile 5.5-6.5, steep downhill for mile 6.5 to 7 and mile 9-10 are uphill. No more flat 10 miles for me.

I like the down hill portions. They are perfect because the most important parts of the Freedom Run are downhill: the start and the finish. I am working on making the initial downhill mile my fastest. That is, I run as hard as I can in that first mile to keep the crowd behind me and then settle into my race pace. I am practicing running that first mile hard without being winded on my subsequent miles. I can see improvement in that area.

Also, I am working on running hard on the final uphill miles -- at race pace if possible. Because if you're not tired at mile 9 then you won't be tired at mile 6.

I feel strong. I feel confident. I am still excited to run the race in Provo.

No comments: