Saturday, June 6, 2009

D-Day

Not many people remember, but today is the anniversary of D-day. I had no relatives who stormed the beach in Normandy, but I had two great uncles who fought in the Pacific. One was wounded in Bataan and the other was wounded at Guadacanal. I thought about them today on my ten mile run.

Mile 5 of the run is up a mountain about 400 feet. I pretended they were hills at Juno Beach and kept telling myself to "get up those hills."

I also saw two fawns that were just barely bigger than a chihuahua. I stopped to watch them for a few seconds before they scampered into the bushes.

Physically I felt fine once I started running, but it was a struggle to get out of bed and get moving. Feet, knees, legs and everything else felt really good. I ran the ten miles in 1 hour 21 minutes, which is one of my better runs.

No comments: