Sunday, August 22, 2010

19 Mile Run

Today was my 37th birthday. What better way to celebrate than waking up and running 19 miles?

I find that before each run I have the same apprehension...can I really do this? On paper it seems like such a long way. Then I recall the previous runs of 15, 16 and 17 miles. They seemed so far at the time but now I wish I was only going 17 miles. Somehow, it seems hard to believe that I even completed those runs because those seem like large numbers. This morning I fought the disbelief by telling myself it was going to be like a day at work...a few hours of putting one foot in front of the other and then you're home.

Its significantly cooler now. Last week it was 85 degrees or more when I started my 18 mile run. It was 95 degrees a couple of hours later at mile 11 when I decided I had better stop. Today it was around 75 degrees when I started and it felt cold. I was glad because I knew I would have the stamina I need.

On todays run I also realized that preloading with 16 ounces of water 2 hours before I run is counterproductive...just ask a couple of unfortunate trees on the trail!

After failing to complete last week's long run, I decided to return to the strategy that worked in the past. That is breaking the marathon down into segments of 10-10-10 (10 miles, 10 miles, 10k), running so slow at the beginning that I think I am going too slow and not listening to the iPod until at least the five mile mark. The return to those principles and strategies worked well. At the beginning I just concentrated on going slow and relaxing and before I was even aware of it I was at the 5 mile mark. I actually didn't turn on the iPod until the 6.5 mile mark when I noticed my mind wandering and my speed slipping and decided I needed the music to keep up my cadence. I felt quite fresh at the ten mile mark and looked forward to the next ten miles. Finally, I was very glad at the finish that I had started out slow because I really was tired at the end and can't imagine what would have happened if I started out too fast.

I was passed three times by the same car on the dike road. A guy and his young son kept passing me in the car. They were grinning the third time they passed me as if to say "I can't believe you are still our here!"

When I finished the run my legs felt like jello. It was all I could do to stumble to the park bench and lay down. I stared up at the sky for about ten minutes before gathering my strength and walking to my car. I headed to Dairy Queen for a green Arctic Blast before driving home.

I still can't believe I ran 19 miles.

No comments: