Monday, November 2, 2009

Gettin' Sweaty in the Parking Lot


University of Victoria's track was closed to the public yesterday. So instead of cancelling my speed training, I decided to run laps in the adjacent parking lot. The outside loops looked to be about 400 meters and there wasn't alot of traffic so...why not? As it turns out, the loop was 0.22 miles (a 400 metre track is 0.25 miles) so it was fairly accurate.
It was a little cold so I wore a warm up jacket and hoodie to the track. When I saw that the track was closed, I took off my jacket and hoodie and placed it on the grass and started doing laps. My friend Steve was with me and kept me company.
It was alot of fun. A couple of college kids were rollerblading in the parking lot too. Only a couple of cars entered the lot and I was never in danger of getting hit by a car. I did have to chase a guy away who was rifling through my jacket. I was finishing my last rest lap before my final 400m lap. I saw him wandering around and then he actually grabbed my jacket to check it out. I started yelling at him "Hey!" "Hey!" "Hey!" before he finally noticed me. "Thats my stuff." He dropped it pretty quick and made some lame excuse about how he was just taking it to turn into lost and found. He eventually drove off in a beater van.
That little exchange must have given me some sort of energy boost because I ran my final lap in 59 seconds!

No comments: