Thursday, October 1, 2009

Still Running!

Wow I can't believe I haven't updated this since July!

Looking back the race in Utah was awesome. But I told my wife that there would be no more travelling to races until I break 40 minutes locally. Seriously, that trip to Utah cost me around $5000 in lost income and travel costs and all for a 48 minute finish.

Anyhow, I am training now for the 2010 Times Colonist. I feel I have unfinished business with the race.

Happily I have found a training regimen that works for me and my current travel and work schedule. Sunday is track intervals. Monday is hill training mostly at Cedar Hill Park. Wednesday is speed training on the treadmill. Thursday is easy distance run on the treadmill and Saturday is 1.5 mile repeats at Lochside. Tuesday and Friday are rest days. The treadmill runs are done at a minimum incline of 2.0. Every fourth week is a rest week with reduced distances but a run on each work out day.

I have seen good results so far. I even clocked a 68 second quarter mile at the track a couple of weeks ago but lately have been settling for 81 seconds.

This week was rough 'cause I'm at a conference in Nanaimo and have to run earlier than usual. This morning's treadmill 6.2 was mentally tough. I was tempted to stop at 3.1 miles but am happy I pushed through it.

No comments: