Sunday, October 4, 2009

Track Workout


Sundays are really my favorite day because the workout is short and different. Today was sunny with a little wind. There was a group of dog walkers at the track which always bothers me. Honestly, miles and miles of city sidewalks and parks and you have to walk your mutt on the track.

I call todays workout cutdowns because each successive interval gets shorter in distance and faster in pace. Interval 1 is 105 second 1/4 miles X 4 (7 minute mile). Interval 2 is 97 seconds 1/4 miles X 3 (6:30 mile pace for 3/4 mile). Interval 3 is 90 seconds 1/4 miles X 2 (6:00 mile pace) and the final 1/4 mile is 75 seconds (5:00 mile pace.) 1/2 mile rest between intervals. Pretty easy workout but fun to try to hit that 75 at the end. In case you are wondering, the world record for the 400m is 43 seconds and change.

All the intervals felt very comfortable today. I ran faster than my paces for intervals 1-3 but ran the last 400m lap in 80 seconds which is an official Garmin GPS personal best (my best unofficial time is 68 seconds...).

Tomorrow it is back to the grind. "The Grind" is a good nickname for the run because it is 4 laps of Cedar Hill Park Chip Trail.I think its about 8.8 miles of hill training. Basically mountain running up hill then downhill steep. Lots of fun once its over.

No comments: